Scientific school of Academician M.M. DUBININ
|► In 1945, academician M.M. DUBININ created the Laboratory of Sorption Processes. This field featured rapid development, the laboratory grew, and in 1965 it was reorganized into the Department of Sorption Processes. Dubinin guided the research into thermodynamics, kinetics, and dynamics of sorption processes and the structure of adosrbents. Dubinin developed, in cooperation with Prof. L.V Radushkevich, a theory of adsorption (called the theory of micropore volume filling). The famous Dubinin–Radushkevich equation obtained within the framework of this theory is most frequently used for the description of equilibrium adsorption. In 1997, special lectures devoted to the current state and development of the Dubinin theory were organized at the International Conference “Carbon-97″ and dedicated to 50th anniversary of the Dubinin–Radushkevich equation.
|Dubinin suggested a classification of the porous structure of adosrbents, which served a basis for the IUPAC classification.
Dubinin worked in a close cooperation with his colleagues, professors K.M. NIKOLAEV and V.V. SERPINSKII, the heads of laboratories entering into the Department of Sorption Processes.
At present, the investigations of adsorption processes are successfully developed in the laboratories headed by A.M. Voloshchuk, A.A. Fomkin, G.A Petukhova, and in the group of Prof. N.S.POLYAKOV.
► In 1945, the Department of Heterogeneous Catalysis and Topochemistry was headed by associated academy member Prof. S.Z. ROGINSKII (1900 – 1970). Roginskii formulated notions about the reactions localized at interphase boundaries and the nucleation of new phases. He developed the main concepts of the theory of topochemical reactions, which were used in the description of kinetics of explosive decomposition and in the general theory of chain reaction kinetics. Special attention of Roginskii was devoted to the problem of contact catalysis and the concept of a field-induced deformation of molecules. In 1953 some laboratories of the Department of Heterogeneous Catalysis and the Laboratory of Radiochemistry served a base for organization of the Radiochemistry Department.
► In 1950, a new Laboratory of Chromatography organized at the Institute was headed by Professor K.V. CHMUTOV (1902 – 1979). The laboratory grew and was reorganized in 1965 into the Chromatography Department comprising several laboratories. Chmutov (elected associated academy member in 1953) guided investigations devoted to the phenomena of gas and vapor sorption on solid adsorbents, adsorption from solution in liquid media, and diffusion in polymer solutions and melts. The Department also solved the problems of sorption and ion-exchange chromatography, and the results obtained by Chmutov considerably contributed to the fact that chromatography has become the standard and widely used method of physiocochemical analysis. Chmutov organized and headed the Scientific Council on Chromatography at the USSR Academy of Sciences.
Investigations in the directions established by Chmutov are continued by his successors, among which are Prof. O.G. Larionov and Prof. A.K. Buryak, the head of the Laboratory of Physicochemical Principles of Chromatography and Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry.
► Professor A.V. KISELEV (1908 – 1984), one of the founders of the surface chemistry, created a laboratory where the adsorbents of various natures were studied by various adsorption, calorimetric, spectroscopic, and chromatographic techniques. Kiselev suggested the classification of adsorbents based on the concept of intermolecular interactions and developed the method of chromatoscopy for determining the structural parameters of molecules.