Scientific school of Academician V.A.KISTJAKOVSKY
Starting Point, or What Was at the Very Beginning
▀…..The history of the Institute of Physical Chemistry and Electrochemistry in fact dates back to 1929, when academician V.A. Kistyakovsky, a well-known chemist and specialist in complex colloidal and electrochemical problems, was engaged by the USSR Academy of Sciences to organize a Colloidal-Electrochemical Laboratory in St. Petersburg (Leningrad). This event was inspired by rapid development of the chemistry of colloids in the beginning of the 20th century. The staff of the Laboratory initially included nine researchers studying various problems related to disperse systems, electrochemistry, and corrosion and passivation of metals.
▀…..In 1934, the Laboratory moved together with most of the Academy of Sciences from St. Petersburg to Moscow, and increased its status to become the Colloidal-Electrochemical Institute. Kistyakovsky became the first director of this institute and headed it until 1939, when the Presidium of the USSR Academy of Sciences allowed Kistyakovsky to retire from this position and engaged academician A.N. Frumkin to be the new director.